Wednesday, April 15, 2009

So We Don't Feel Alone

Wadsworth Falls
5 Miles


In that omnipotent way of the IPod's random setting, it brought me to The Good Book by Melanie Safka on my drive to the park. And for the first time, not only did I listen but I heard the words and was struck. The song ran through my head as I hiked and thought and wrote...


So we don't feel alone. A good friend once said that it was simply untrue if you try to say that no one loves you because God always does. Everyone is lovable and loved, everyone. Sounds simple, but it is so easy to forget.


Give the poet a poem and the singer a song. And they'll tell us you love us.
The concepts are more important than the truth. During holy week I ran across and watched several documentaries on the life of Jesus and the search for the true story and its artifacts. I think they are missing the point. Organized religion in general gives us a communal sense, a non-genetic family, a sense of belonging. It gives us our traditions and shared stories. It is our job to share these stories with each other. Not only the elder generations passing them on, but the writers, storytellers, musicians continue to creatie new ways to share those stories. It is in these songs and poems that we are told of God's love and they encourage us to grant each other the same grace.


And it's sad we aren't born like horses and sheep, to know where we're goin', to know what we need. This is a difficult time and place in my life. I voluntarily left my job and moved back to Connecticut because of several factors. Now I am finding myself struggling to find a new position in this awful economy, living with relatives and friends with my things in storage and relying on others more than I ever thought I could allow, not to mention need. And I don't know what I am supposed to be doing. I have a strong sense of call but keep hitting road blocks. I'm not sure how to answer.


Write us a book of instructions or signs. And if its been written then give us more time. We have known how to make the world a better place for thousands of years: love, forgive and treat everyone with respect. It has been written innumerable times. We keep messing up and we are still given chances.


But tell us you love us so we don't feel alone.
If there is one thing I have learned in the last year its that you may not get what you want, you may not get what you expect, you may not even get what you work for, but you do get you need. Somehow, through the right people, the message comes across.


No comments:

Post a Comment