Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sometimes a planned sabbath just isn't

Collis P Huntington State Park
4 miles

Sometimes sabbath just doesn't happen. I set aside a few hours, found a park, planned a hike and set out on a beautifully clear day.

By the time I reached the center of the park, it had started raining. Just a little, but enough to make me worry about the camera and cell phone in my pocket. I decided to hurry and take a shortcut trail that would clip off about half a mile and get me back to my car a little sooner.

Too bad my map didn't show topography as well as distances. Turns out the path I chose as a short-cut was a series of incredibly steep hills littered with so many tiny stones that I had to slowly and carefully sidestep down to avoid losing my footing and tumbling.

Somewhere in those hills, the path I was on turned and I didn't. I remember seeing another path cross mine, but since it was not blazed, I continued forward. And then I came to the swamp. Being November, its surface was littered with fresh leaves. I had no idea what I had wandered into. My foot sunk into the mud about six inches about my ankle.

I lost my footing and went forward, catching myself on a log. I managed to pull out my foot, but not my shoe. Foot went back into the muck, shoeless. I dug out my shoe, stumbled to more stable ground and slid the slimy thing back on my cold, wet foot. Then continued my hike.

After a while I came to some signs. They made it clear that I was leaving state land and that there was to be no trespassing, "for any reason." So, I turned back, pulled out my trail map and tried to figure out what had gone wrong. I had wanted that unblazed trail. This time I went around the swamp, I had to go off the trail about a hundred feet, half-climb a tree and shuffle across a stream to do so, but I think the result was better than wading through the muck again.

I found my trail and headed back to my car, texting Josh along the way, telling him that I was ok but cold, wet and unhappy. (I had sent him one in panic before telling him that I had fallen into a swamp and might be a little lost. I think its always a good idea to let someone know exactly where I am going to be and about how long I think it'll take if I plan on hiking alone).

He was sweet. He told me to come to him and when I got there I had dry clothes and hot lunch waiting for me. And in the end it didn't really seem so bad. I did get some nice photos. I did explore a great local park. And I do plan on going back and looking at some of the other trails. I didn't get much poetry out of it immediately, I just wasn't in the right place mentally. Maybe once I can step back from the experience a bit I'll have something to share.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are posting again. A swampy area of the Coginchaug claimed one of my shoes many years ago. I'm glad you got yours back. =)
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wold a gps have helped i this situation. Not a fancy hiking/walking one, but just a 100dollar driving model. i was lost in sleeping giant for hours once, so i have always wondered this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered that I have comments!

    Angie - It might not be a horrible idea to have a GPS with you. It won't help with trails, but it can tell you which direction and how far you are from the nearest road - as well as the place you entered.

    ReplyDelete